Tell us about your symptoms and treatment experience. Take our survey here.

Missy Neihart

”AtopicMissy was previously an advocate on AtopicDermatitis.net.

Hi! My name is Melissa (Missy) and I am a 24 year old EMT and Biochemistry student.

I was diagnosed with Atopic Dermatitis when I was just 8 years old. At that age, I didn’t really think much of it, other than that it was something that occasionally allowed me to miss school. It wasn’t until I turned eleven and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis that the severity of atopic dermatitis came to light. I began to hide all of my symptoms from not only friends and family, but my doctors, because I was ashamed. It wasn’t until I was forced to go to the hospital because of a double flare with my Ulcerative Colitis and atopic dermatitis. It was there that I met a support group of people who were going through exactly what I was and I was inspired to start talking about what I was feeling and experiencing.

Documenting my journey and being an advocate for all those that experience the same things I do is very rewarding to me. It has not only helped me learn to talk about my conditions and thus, feel better, but is also very rewarding, because I can help so many of you that feel like you’re alone.

Click here to read all of Missy's articles on AtopicDermatitis.net.

By providing your email address, you are agreeing to our privacy policy.